Project: Stingray Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Tom was driving as Delphine and Kathy watches as he followed Kathy’s direction towards her house. They were in Calabasas, CA and the homes they were passing were high dollar homes. Tom pulls up to a set of huge gray color gates. There was a horse image cut out with the address just above it.

“This is where you live?” Delphine turns around to look at Kathy.

“My father designed the property and the house.”

Kathy gets out of the SUV and walk up to a side gate and walk inside. The huge solid gates start to open.

“Come on in.”

“Okay.” Tom starts driving up the long winding driveway.

When Tom comes to the front of the house, neither he nor Delphine could believe how unique the house looked. It was suited for a millionaire or a movie star.

“This is a nice place, Kathy. How many rooms does it have?” Delphine was curious.

“Ten bedrooms, and six-n-half baths. Plus, seven additional rooms.” Delphine walks up to the front door and opens it.

“Okay, I wonder what your father had in mind when he designed this place?” Delphine follows behind Kathy and Tom brings up the rear.

“My mother liked to entertain, along with my father. They threw parties all the time. So, my father designed this house for that purpose.”

They walk into a large space and look around. To the left of them was a huge living room and to the right of them was a set of closed double doors. They looked to be at least eight feet tall or more.

“Kathy, what is this room?” Delphine points toward the closed double doors.

“That’s the library and music room.” Kathy heads towards the flight of stairs that lead upstairs.

Delphine and Tom could see through the open doorway in front of them, that it led to another room. The flight of stairs they were going up had
an identical set across from them. They follow Kathy up the stairs. There was another doorway that was in the middle.

“Where does that lead to, Kathy?” Delphine stopped and pointed at the open doorway.

“That leads to the second-floor landing for the sunroom.” Kathy turns left to go down the hallway.

She stops at the third door on the right-hand side of the hallway and opens it. As she walks in, the lights automatically come on. She walks over to the curtains that darken the bedroom and open them. The room is flooded by natural light as it comes in through the glass walls.

When Kathy and Tom walk into the room. They noticed how big the room is and that it was set up for a teenage girl.

“So, this is your bedroom?” Delphine looks over towards Kathy for an answer.

“Yep.” Kathy turns around to look at Delphine and Tom.

“I thought you were staying with your aunt and uncle?” Tom was curious.

“I did for the first few weeks after the burial of my parents. After that, my aunt and uncle left to go overseas for vacation. They said I could stay
at their place, but I didn’t feel right staying there. So, I came back home. At times, I don’t feel comfortable here either. It’s too quiet and too big for me. I don’t feel comfortable in my bedroom.” Kathy shivers thinking about how lonely she felt without her parents being in the big house.

Delphine walks over and holds Kathy She could understand why she felt the way she did. The house from what she has seen of it was big. Even Kathy’s bedroom was huge.

Kathy just holds onto Delphine, while tears leak from her eyes. She feels delphine rub her back as she held her close to her body. After a while, Kathy stops crying and wipes her eyes.

Delphine looks down at Kathy “why don’t you go and shower and change clothes. You can come home with me, so you’re not so lonely.”
Kathy holds back a sniffle “okay.”

Kathy heads into her bathroom and starts the shower. She undresses and steps into the shower and start washing her body.

“She is right about this place, it’s huge.” Tom couldn’t believe how big the place was.

“I agree, but I disagree with what her aunt and uncle did after the burial. They shouldn’t have abandoned her as they did. Don’t they realize she needs their support?” Delphine looks at Tom.

“I agree with you, Delphine. You just don’t abandon a child or any person who has gone through the trauma she has.” Tom walks over to the sliding glass door and unlocks them.

He steps out onto the balcony and looks at the backyard. He lets out a whistle as he looks around from the balcony. There was a man made waterfall in one corner of the yard that flowed into a huge pool. A huge outdoor kitchen area, with a pit fire setup.

He could have his friends over and throw a nice barbecue. The outdoor kitchen was set up nicely for cooking and entertaining. He loved the waterfall and swimming pool.

Delphine was walking around in Kathy’s bedroom, looking at some of the posters she had up, her collection of barbie dolls, and such. Pictures of her parents and places they had been. There was a picture of the sailboat Kathy’s parents owned. It was named Lucky Queen.

Delphine looks out at Tom standing on the balcony and walks outside to join him. She stops near the railing and lets out a low whistle “man, I love this backyard.”

“It must cost a fortune to keep this place cleaned and running.” Tom wonders what their electric bill was.

“I guess Kathy’s parents set up a trust fund to care for this place.” Tom looks at Delphine.

“I know I would. I just don’t understand why her aunt and uncle are so cold towards her?” Delphine knew some people aren’t the maternal type.
She also knew Kathy was seventeen years old and her birthday was coming up soon.

Delphine walks over towards the bathroom door and knock on it, before opening and stick her head inside “hey Kathy, do you mind if Tom and I explore your house?”

Kathy heard Delphine’s voice and her request “go ahead. I’ll come downstairs after I’m done.”

“Okay, thanks.” Delphine closes the bathroom door.

Delphine and Tom explore the house and couldn’t believe how expensive the place looked. The place was almost as expensive as Stingray himself.

“Man, for the cost of building Stingray, I could build and furnish a house and yard like this.”

“Well, Kathy did say her father designed the place and was an investment adviser and designer.” Tom loved the parlor room they had gone in.
The room had a nice custom-made pool table and pool sticks.

They find the entertainment/private movie viewing room. Tom was impressed with the setup of it.

“I wonder what Kathy’s childhood was like?” Tom figured she must have been popular with the kids at school with the way the house was laid out.

“Delphine, Tom, where are you guys?” Kathy’s voice comes over the intercom in the room.

Delphine walks over towards it and presses the talk button “we’re in the private movie theater room.”

“Okay, why don’t you meet me at the staircase.”

“Alright.”

Tom and Delphine head towards the staircase, where they spot Kathy. She had changed into a nice pair of shorts, a matching top, and slipped on a pair of tennis shoes that went with the outfit.

“You look better.” Tom was amazed at how well Kathy cleaned up.

“Thanks.” Kathy blushes.

“So, where would you like to go now?” Delphine had a few things she needed to do.

“Could we go back to the boat show, please?” Kathy wanted to check on her boat.

A smile appears on Delphine’s face “yes, we can go back to the boat show.”

“Before we leave, Kathy. Who takes care of your house?” Tom was curious.

“My father set up a separate account to pay for the maids, gardener, and pool company to come by and take care of the place. If anything, else needs to be fixed and such. Dad has an account with a maintenance company I can call.” Kathy has a list of numbers to call to maintain the house.

“Your father was a good planner.” Tom had to admit that Kathy’s father was smart planning like he did.

“He wanted to make sure I and my mom were taken care of.”

Delphine could see that Kathy was a little upset after mentioning that statement. She pulls Kathy to her and just holds her.

“Everything is going to be okay. Instead of going back to the boat show right away. I got something to show you, that you might find cool.” Delphine figures Kathy might like to see Stingray.

The three of them head back to the SUV after Kathy locks everything. She sets the alarm system and hops into the SUV. Once Kathy was secure, Tom starts heading towards Delphine’s house, where Stingray was stored.

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel for Kathy

Samantha Heart's picture

I wonder if Tom & Delphine adopt Kathy if they will keep her house & move everyone in or Sell it & live by the dock? It'll be intresting to find out

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

House too big for one person

Jamie Lee's picture

Besides bringing back unwanted memories at the present time, that house is way to big for one person.

That is the question, why Kathy's Aunt and Uncle went on a trip and left Kathy to fend for herself. Did they have something against her mom and dad? Maybe they asked for financial help and Kathy's dad refused? Leaving Kathy alone after the death of her parents is awfully cold on their part.

Others have feelings too.