Desert Rose Part 18

Printer-friendly version

Alejandra looks over at Sebastian as they drove down the highway towards Crystal Spring Resort. She had been doing some research and found a race she wanted to enter her dune buggy in.

“Hey, have you ever heard of the Baja 500 and Baja 1000?”

“Yeah, I’ve heard of them. Why are you asking?” Detective Branston glances towards Alejandra.

“Well, I saw an ad for it, and I was thinking it might be a good test to enter my dune buggy in.” Alejandra wanted to give it a try.

“You do know, that it’s a dangerous course and you’re not legal yet.” Detective Branston was still waiting to hear back from his friend about adopting Alejandra.

“I know, but I could register under the name on the driver's license I still have.”

“I’ll think about it.” Sebastian didn’t know what he thought about Alejandra competing in a race, but he would think about it.

After an hour or so of driving, Detective Branston spots the sign for Crystal Springs Resort. He takes the road which leads to a huge parking lot. He is stopped at the entrance of the parking lot by a security guard.

“Welcome to Crystal Springs Resort, how can I help you?” Michael did a quick look-see while waiting on the driver to respond.

“I’m here to see Sheriff Markus.” Detective Branston was watching officer Dorsey.

“Is he expecting you?”

“No, he isn’t. Does it matter?” Detective Branston was curious.

“Yes, it does sir. If he is expecting you. He would have sent word and you can drive over to sheriff office. Since he isn’t expecting you. You have to park in general parking and take the stagecoach into town.”

“How much is parking?” Detective Branston reaches for his wallet.

“The first twenty-four hours is free. If you’re going to see the sheriff and will be staying longer. Just have him send us a notice and you’re parking will be free after the twenty-four hours.” Michael watches the man and the young girl with him.

“Can we park anywhere or are the spots assigned?”

“You can park anywhere a spot is opened. There’s a special parking lot for the citizens who stay and work here.”

“Cool!” Alejandra didn’t know people stayed at the resort full time.

“Alright, do I need to sign anything?” Detective Branston wonders how they keep track of all the cars.

“I just need your signature on this pad.” Security guard Dorsey hands Detective Branston an Apple Ipad.

Branston looks over what was written carefully and signs the bottom of the agreement. He hands the Ipad back to security guard Dorsey.

“Here you go.”

“Thank you. And here is a map showing you where you can catch the stagecoach and all the buildings in town.” Security guard Dorsey hands
the map to Detective Branston.

Detective Branston accepts thee map. Security Guard Dorsey lifts the barrier for Detective Branson to drive into the parking lot.

“This place is kind of weird.” Alejandra watched the cars as they looked around for a parking spot.

Detective Branston manages to find an open spot near the old-style train station. It was the pickup spot where you caught the stagecoach.
They were the only two people waiting for the stagecoach to arrive. After ten minutes, an old fashion stagecoach arrives at the train station.
The driver looked like he stepped out of the old west.

“Good afternoon and welcome to Crystal Springs Resort. I’m Bart and this here is Billy.” Bart points to another gentleman that was sitting next to him.

Billy waves hello to Detective Branston and Alejandra. He climbs down front next to Bart and opens the door on the stagecoach “if you’ll step inside ma’am and sir.”

Detective steps in first and notices that the stagecoach was like it was, in the old west. He felt the stagecoach move when Alejandra steps in. She sits across from him.

“We will be moving in a few minutes. There are a few more people we are picking up.” Billy stands next to the door.

After a few minutes, a few more people show up at the stagecoach. Detective Branston sits next to Alejandra.

“Is this how they use to get around in the old West?”

“It's one of the ways. Before there were cars, planes, and buses. People would either ride horses or travel in cover wagons. When trains bridge the gap of getting from one coast to another. They would travel in them. Cities that were too far out and didn’t have trains that went to them, used stagecoaches like this.”

“Yeah, and the travel was sometimes long and uncomfortable.” An older man had been listening to Branston when he was talking to Alejandra.

“Yeah, you had that problem and sometimes being attack by Indians as well.” The woman sitting across from Alejandra spoke up.

It doesn’t take them long to get to the resort area. Alejandra couldn’t believe how old fashion the town looked.

“Here’s we are folks.” Bart stops in front of the Desert Rose hotel.

Billy opens the stagecoach door to help everyone out. He watches as Alejandra exists from the stagecoach. He has never seen anyone as cute as her, here at the resort. Belka was cute as well, but he knows she was planning on leaving the resort.

Alejandra looks around, after being helped out of the stagecoach. Everywhere she looked, she spotted people dressed up in old fashion western gear and people dressed in normal modern clothes. She could hear music coming from another big building down the street from them called Crystal Palace.

Detective Branston steps up close to Alejandra “this seems kind of weird. Like we have gone back in time.”

“It does seem weird and I wouldn’t mind looking around this place.” Alejandra wonders what the stores and other businesses were like.

“Maybe after I talked with Sheriff Markus.” Detective Branston didn’t see why they couldn’t look around some.

They walk down the wooden sidewalk towards the Sheriff’s office. The building looked like it did back when the west was one. However, when
he gets closer and looks behind the sheriff's office. About a hundred yards or more was another building with a small parking lot with cars, four-wheelers, and a few dirt bikes.

“Did this use to be a movie set or something?” Alejandra saw how the buildings looked old but were somewhat new.

“You’re asking the wrong person, Alejandra.” Detective Branston stops in front of the sheriff’s office.

He opens the door and walks in. Alejandra follows behind him. The place looks like it did way back when. There were only a few modern
pieces of equipment inside the building.

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I wonder what

Samantha Heart's picture

The detective wants? Ill be intrested to find out in the next chapter

Love Samantha Renée Heart.