Night Fox Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Cora and the two U.S. Marshals were driving over towards the Governor house. When out of nowhere a box truck T-bones the driver side of the SUV they were in. Marshal Leonard was driving and was killed instantly upon impact. Before Cora and Marshal Johnson could react or gather their wits. Four guys existed from the rear of the box truck. They start spraying the SUV with gunfire.

Cora felt the bullets impact her body. The suit given to her by the spirits protected her body, but she still felt each impact. She falls to the floorboard for protection. She pushes through the pain and manages to open the back-passenger side door and fall out of the SUV. She spots a car leaving the area, as sounds of sirens approach her location.

She manages to crawl to the curb, just before the SUV explodes. She rests her head against the curb as she feels the heat from the burning
SUV. She passes out from the pain as she feels the flames and heat from the burning SUV.

The next thing she knows, she is woken-up with smelling salts and was looking into the face of a middle-aged male paramedic. He was shining a light into her eyes. She tries to swat his hand away.

“Easy, I’m just checking your pupils.” Brandon and his partner had found this girl laying on the curb.

The cops had arrived first and found the girl passed out on the side of the street. The SUV and the box truck had been burning. The fire trucks had showed-up a few minutes after the police and were in the process of putting the fire out. She could feel the ambulance moving.

“Stop the ambulance.” She tries to sit up but falls back on the stretcher she was lying on.

“No can do. You need to see a doctor with all the bruising you have.” He had tried to cut the suit she had on, but his scissors wouldn’t cut through the material.

Brandon managed to lift the material away from her body and saw that the skin underneath was bruised all to hell. She was just one big bruised. He feels the ambulance back into the parking space and the back door is open.

Cora watches as she is rushed towards the emergency room. When the nurses go to try and cut the suit off her.

“Stop! Just support me and I’ll remove the suit.” Cora sits up. She slowly and painfully remove the suit.

Her whole body was black and blue from where the bullets had hit her. She keeps the suit near her as the doctors checked her over. She had a few fractured ribs, but mostly she was just one big bruised.

The doctor wraps her chest and lets her get redress. Once she is fully dressed. The Officer in charge of the investigation comes walking in.

Detective Ramirez had been assigned to investigate what happened. They had found two dead bodies in the one SUV and none in what remained of the box truck. The only survivor they found at the crime scene was a petite Native American woman wearing some sort of custom-made bodysuit and wearing a silver choker around her neck with the head of a fox.

They found her purse and a spear with an obsidian spearhead on it near her. According to the identification cards they found inside her purse. She was a licensed private investigator and lived on the reservation.

Cora turns around when she was finished dressing and was looking at an older man wearing a dark blue suit standing in front of her. He looked to be of Latino descent and had a scar on his right cheek. If she had to guess his age, she would guess he was in his late thirties, early forties.

“What can I do for you detective?” Cora knew right away that he was a Detective.

Detective Ramirez felt a chill as the woman looked at him. There was something about the look in her eyes. It felt like something else was looking at him, instead of the person standing in front of him.

“Can you tell me what happened earlier today?” Ramirez takes out a notepad and gets ready to take her testimony.

“I was called by Marshal Leonard this morning and was informed that they were going to arrest the Governor. I met them at their office and joined him and his partner in their SUV. We were heading over to the Governor Manor to arrest him when we were T-bone by a box truck. Before I and Marshal Johnson could recover from the collision. We came under fire by four unknown assailants. Several rounds hit me before I could take cover on the floorboard of the SUV. I managed to escape the SUV and crawl to the curb. As I was crawling to the curb, the four unknown assailants were picked up and the SUV exploded. That was the last thing I saw before I passed out from the pain.” Cora hadn’t stopped looking at Ramirez as she recalled everything.

Ramirez looks up “why were you and the Marshal’s arresting the Governor?”

“You remember those women that were found that were being used to breed children?”

Ramirez nods his head yes.

“Well, I was the person responsible for finding them. Also, one of those women and the ten-year-old child they found among those women.
They happened to be the Governor’s daughter and granddaughter and they were carrying his child. On top of that, I had evidence that I turned over to the U.S. Marshal’s. It was a supplier that has been supplying the Governor with children for his entertainment. It had pictures and ages of every child taken to the sick bastard.”

“Do you know who the men were that attacked you and the Marshal’s?” Ramirez was curious why the men would attack them.

“Nope, I have no idea who they were. All I know is that they knew we were heading towards the Governors Manor and they were prepared to ambush us.” Cora wanted to know who was going out of their way to attack her and the Marshal’s.

“Where did you get the information, you gave the Marshal’s and what did it contain?” Ramirez was wondering if it had something to do with that information.

“I can’t give you that information, detective. All I can say is, I acquired it while working on another related case.” Cora knew it all started the day she was kidnapped and tortured.

Ramirez had been watching her body expressions. Normally, he was good at reading people, but this person gave nothing away with her body.
He does notice that the choker, pouches, belt buckle and wrist armbands she had on were of Native American design. Even the boots she had on were of Native American design.

“What case put you on this?” Ramirez figures he could investigate it and sees where it leads.

“My rebirth.”

Ramirez could her it in her tone that it was a mixture of regret and revenge.

“That’s not very helpful, Ms. Black.”

“I’m sorry, but the cops didn’t do anything about the case when they could. I did what they couldn’t do. All because they didn’t care.” Cora was still a little upset that the police hadn’t bother to investigate her disappearance.

“Do you still live on the reservation, Ms. Black?”

“Yes, sir.” Cora liked where she was. She wonders if anyone has gone after George?

“Detective, I think you should send the police over to the Governor and arrest him.” Cora wanted the bastard arrested.

“That’s not going to be possible. He was found dead a few hours ago near the airport. An airport maintenance team found his car near the back entrance. He was found dead inside. According to the note they found, it was suicide.”

Cora thinks about what she knew about the Governor “doesn’t fit. Everything, I know about him and what I learned from his daughter and granddaughter doesn’t fit. He would never take his life. He would fight to remain free.” Also, didn’t help that it didn’t feel right to her.

“Well, I’ll have our forensic team go back to the scene and car again. Do you need a cab?” Ramirez would speak to Carl in forensics about going through everything a second time.

“Yes, I left my car at the U.S. Marshal’s office.” Cora figures the Marshal’s were going to send their own investigator to find out what happened to their people.

“I’ll call a cab for you,” Ramirez calls a cab driver he knew to come to the hospital.

“Thank you.” Cora waits till Ramirez is done on the phone and check herself out.

The doctor gives her a prescription for pain. She tucks it into her purse and walks towards the front of the hospital for the cab.

up
266 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmm...something smells fishy

Jamie Lee's picture

If the Governor is dead, why try to kill Katey or Cora and the Marshall? Could it be that the body found in the car at the airport is not that of the Governor, but a double?

If what Cora knows about the Governor is true, then he's fakes his death and is in hiding. And the attacks are an attempt to get people off his trail.

Others have feelings too.

Clean Sweep

It's called a clean sweep. The marshals and Cora had incriminating evidence and were going to arrest the governor, so they had to go. In turn the governor might have other incriminating evidence that he would reveal for a possible lighter sentence so he had to go also. The bad guys were making sure the leaked information was choked off.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin