It's the Arts!

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Genre: 

Permission: 



It's the Arts


Tonight we'll be looking at the brilliant work of Joan d'Arte, a Pre-Raphael School painter whose commentary on the transgendered life is considered the most representative of both genre' and subject.



 

First, I give you
 


Dreaming

You can see the pure ecstasy of the boys as they marvel at the soft hues and feel of their new clothing. One of the models, Percy Newsome, was heard to say, "I don't care; if she can't pay me, I'm keepin' the bloomin' dress, cor!"
 

* * *

And now,
 


Musing

...a lovely portrayal of a young man in transition. d'Arte herself decided to paint the girl after hearing her remark that she never realized just how big her hands were.
 

* * *

 

Another example of genre' and subject combined in awesome expression?
 

No Fair!

...d'Arte personally chose the models after overhearing an argument they were having outside the local pub one evening. The 'knight' was practically in tears, it was said, while protesting,

"No fair; you got to be the girl last time. I'm tellin' mum!"
 

* * *

...an atypical example of d'Arte's work, we find clever whimsy come alive in
 

Oh...That Went Rather Well

....the artist herself is the subject here; a rendition of a date gone bad. She wrote in her diary, "Dearest Joan ....Perhaps I should have waited until the second date to tell him?"
 

* * *

...another fine example of Pre-Raphaelite and Transgenderism melding into a visual delight?


Discovery

...the brother of the artist's partner, the lad is seen here looking up sheepishly at his mother, fearing the worst. His mother was fine, having purchased the very gown only days before just for such an occasion. Ah, would that we all had mothers like her!
 

* * *

...a simple yet telling portrait here...

Waiting

...one of the artist's more challenging subjects; 'Miss' Belladonna kept complaining about missing out on Ruggers!
 

* * *

and finally,

Wonder of Wonders

....originally thought to be apocryphal, recent restoration work on the painting revealed a small caption next to d'Arte's signature. It read, "OOOOOOh...so that's what that feels like."

Simply a brilliant but seldom recognized artist... Miss Joan d'Arte.
 



A BBC Presentation, this has been a Movin'Dirt/CairnsGirl co-production. Directed by Susan Heywood and co-written by Zoe Taylor and Julie Cole. Jennifer Brock is Executive Producer. This is Kristine Roland speaking.



 

all paintings by John William Waterhouse (1849? to 1917)

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

how do you do this?

I am simply in awe of your abilities.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Thank you 'Drea,

ALISON

Exquisite,delightful and as usual,quite brilliant.Your fertile imagination knows no boundaries!
From the Cairns Girl!

ALISON

So educational!

I learned so much from this "show". :=)

I do wonder what gave you the initial idea - and then how you came up with the descriptions/captions.

Thanks,
Anne

What The Picture Really Meant

littlerocksilver's picture

If only I had you around when I was taking art appreciation. You have brought these wonderful works of art to life. Finally, I understand what they're all about.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

different

what a great concept. drea you never cease to amaze me. keep the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Revelatory

joannebarbarella's picture

You have mounted an exhibition that turns our appreciation of art on its head. What we previously thought was delicate beauty is actually virility in camouflage,

Joanne

Model

Lizzie Siddell mostly, if I have the name right! Part of the Rossetti circle.

Give that lady a hand!

Andrea Lena's picture

Brilliant as always, my dear Stephanie!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Siddal

Do you like my Pre-Raphaelite look?


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena