Robin's Maid

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 



Maid_Marian_by_BooBooGBs.jpg


“You’ve a big day tomorrow. Turn off the TV? Honey? Time for bed.” Linda called from the hallway; barely heard between the strains of Korngold’s score and the fatigue that only comes from travailing over foolish childish wishes. The boy turned his head toward the back of the couch; ashamed of his tears. Ashamed of the dreams that plagued his nights only to disappoint every morning. Ashamed of wanting to be someone who existed somewhat in history and mostly on screen. ….



rHoodMarian06.jpg

 
The figure stirred…. Tossed and turned actually in a fitful rest. The young lady had fallen into a twilight fog as she sought to hide from the confusion of the night before.

“He is different from anyone I've ever known. He's, well he's brave and he's reckless, and yet he's...gentle and kind. He's not brutal like...tell me, when you are in love, is it, well, is it hard to think of anybody but, but one person?” The words came from her mouth; both happily and reluctant as she recalled her fears. Her Lady-in-Waiting spoke words intended to assure.

“Yes, indeed my lady Marian, and sometimes it's a bit of trouble sleeping.”

"I know, but it's a nice kind of not sleeping……” She shook her head in confusion; feeling repulsed and elated all in the same moment. Part of her wanted to run to his arms while much of her struggled to reach forward somehow to regain what she had been; wanting instead to run in horror from exactly what she had hoped for all her life.

”And it affects your appetite too. Not that I've noticed it's done that to you, except when he was in the dungeon waiting to be hanged.” Bess smiled, evoking an almost wince.

“ And does it make you want to be with him all the time?” Did she really want to be with him? Did she want to be with any man?

" Yes, and when he's with you, your legs are as weak as water. Tell me, my lady. When he looks at you, do you feel a kind of prickly feeling like goosy pimples running all up and down your spine?...Then there's not a doubt of it.” Bess laughed.

“ Doubt of what?” Marian put her head down, only to feel a strong but gentle hand lift her countenance.

“That you're in love,” she heard his voice say and she fell into a dream…..



robin1.jpg

 
She found herself shoved rudely into the presence of a very put out man sitting on a throne in a dais in the large hall. A very mean looking man sat just to his side...

“Are you not ashamed my Lady Marian?”

“Yes, I am, bitterly, but it's the shame that I'm a Norman, after seeing the things my fellow countrymen have done to England. At first, I wouldn't believe. Because I was a Norman, I wouldn't let myself believe that the horrors you inflicted on the Saxons were just and right. I know now why you tried so hard to kill this outlaw whom you despise. Sir Guy.”

She turned her attention to Prince John.

“It's because he was the one man in England who protected the helpless against a lot of beasts who were drunk on human blood. And now you intend to murder your own brother.”

“You'll be sorry you interfered,” Prince John snarled

“Sorry? I'd do it again if you killed me for it.” A foreboding? A wish?

“A prophetic speech, my lady, for that is exactly what is going to happen to you,” the Prince said almost off-handedly. She lowered her head and stifled a sob before everything began to fade only to be replaced in what seemed like an eternity with a brilliant light that threatened to consume her.



robin6.jpg


 
“Is there nothing England's king can grant the outlaw who showed him his duty to his country?” Marian stood next to the handsome man as King Richard the Lionhearted smiled.

“Yes, your majesty: a pardon for the men of Sherwood.” He said, bowing before his sovereign. She felt all at once proud and ashamed and frightened with dreadful expectation over his next words.

“Granted with all my heart!” the King said and the added,

"But is there nothing for yourself?”

“There's but one thing else, sire.” He tuned and faced Marion. The King also turned to face the young Lady.

“And, uh, do you too wish...?”” She wanted to scream and run away, but words forced themselves from her lips.

“ More than anything in the world, sire.”

“Kneel, Robin Hood. Arise Baron of Locksley, Earl of Sherwood and Nottingham, and Lord of all the lands and manors appertaining thereto. My first command to you, my Lord Earl, is to take in marriage the hand of the Lady Marian. What say you to that, Baron of Locksley?”

“May I obey all your commands with equal pleasure!” He said as he quickly ushered her out if the hall into yet another bright light.,,,,



The figure on the couch stirred as a woman’s voice called;

“Honey? Robin's here.” The girl sat up; her hand flying to her face in embarrassment.

“I thought you might not be ready, so I came a bit early.” She looked up into the most frightening, breathtaking and comforting hazel eyes; accompanied by a smile from the real Robin she had come to know.

“Sweetie? Jeff?” The girl’s…. the boy’s mother interrupted the moment.

“Robin’s mom invited to have us over for dinner tomorrow after your Cosplay.” She offered a hand to her son; lifting him off the couch. She stepped close and straightened his satin headdress before reaching over to the side table by the front door.

“Don’t forget to have a good time.” She placed a few twenty dollar bills in his hand which he immediately placed in a small purse attached to the belt that surrounded his dress. He smiled at his mother before turning his attention to the dashing figure by the door.

”I’ll be just a moment. I’m … well, I didn’t sleep well before nodding off here on the couch. Sorry…I had the most disturbing dream,” Jeff said as he looked in the mirror. A quick re-application of lipstick was followed by an awkward smile at his reflection which in turn was followed by a an insecure nod mirrored more confidently by his archer escort.

“Will you accompany me to the festivities, Jeffrey David Kovalchek?” Robin asked; gallantly offering an arm.

“I will indeed,” He accepted the proffered gesture with a girlish sigh before waving bye to his mother. As they stepped onto the front yard into the bright sunlight of the late morning, Robin spoke

“I love you...Marian. Love me?”

“With all my heart, Robin Cynthia Bielski… More than anything in the world..”

p27087_i_h8_ac (2).jpgphoto_10_0.jpg


All dialogue adapted from The Adventures of Robin Hood,
Warner Brothers, 1938;
Screenplay by
Norman Reilly Raine, Seton I. Miller,
and Rowland Leigh

Love theme from The Adventures of Robin Hood
composed by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jso-SBtfMXg

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Magical, Enchanting.

joannebarbarella's picture

Oh! So romantic, both in the 13th century and the present. Beautifully juxtaposed. You kinda had me guessing until the end.

I'll second that, Jo

Cressar's picture

Very romantic indeed!

Radio Cressar - not available on FM

Olivia de Havilland

Olivia de Havilland and her sister, Joan Fontaine, both went to the same high school I went to, Los Gatos High School, though much before my time. As a child I met their mother, who directed a little theater production in which my father had a part. Ms. de Havilland is now 100 years old.

Lots of them are

One might not agree with the personal views and/or off-screen behavior of a lot of stars (especially certain white male American stars who probably voted for a certain president-elect) but they made good movies. Personally I am glad I do not like machismo driven men (or women for that matter) as I can' t stand their arrogant, pushy 'of course the aggressive I am always right, damn the facts' attitude.

The first time I saw an Errol Flynn movie

laika's picture

I was maybe fifteen and I'd always heard what a great movie star Errol Flynn was. Then I saw him in one of his heroic + dashing roles and I couldn't believe it. His mugging and hamming it up was so over the top it was like a comedian playing a really bad actor. Somehow I don't see him as Drea's type (or any of his jolly men-in-tights, really.) If she was Maid Marian she wouldn't keep her Lady-in-Waiting waiting for long. It'd be all soft silk and sweet tenderness set to dulcimer music :)

Charming little tale with a happy outcome in both realities.
~hugs, Veronica

.

And speaking of men in tights...
anyone remember Mel Brooks' short lived mid-70's
sitcom about Robin Hood, WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN?
Misty Rowe (the Hillbilly sexpot from Hee Haw) was cute as Maid Marian
but jeez, that show was a stinker!!!!!!!!

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

The Tasmanian Bastard

joannebarbarella's picture

Stories about Flynn were rife in Australia, but one I heard that I believe showed his true callous character was that he went to New Guinea to try and make his fortune before he lucked out in Hollywood. That much was definitely true.

The apochryphal part was that he and his mates used to make sport with the natives by giving them a stick of gelignite with fuse lit and making them run along a pier to the sea. The game, which they bet on, was to see if the native could get rid of the explosive before it blew him to pieces.

I believe it.

I remember the movie dialogue so well, even tho I was quite

young.

At the beginning of the story, I thought it was the wife (Linda) calling her husband to turn off the TV and come to bed. It was the husband/author in the fantasy imagining the movie characters...

>> Ashamed of the dreams that plagued his nights only to disappoint every morning. Ashamed of wanting to be someone who existed somewhat in history and mostly on screen. …. <<

Thinking of you, Drea. Sorry, not trying to be nasty; it just popped into my head.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ummm...

I remember in my younger years seeing Kate Beckensale in a movie. I thought she was a goddess and I so wanted to be her at the time. My prince was totally unavailable but I would fantasize what it would be like to have him in my life. This little tale made me think of those days. Brava ma!!!

Just a Little Irish...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

PKB_003b.jpg