Leander and the Muses - 2

Printer-friendly version


Dec.-22_0.jpg


by Andrea Lena DiMaggio


Dýo - Gennaiótita
(Two - Bravery)


Previously...

As they neared Leander, Euterpe glanced over her shoulder and nodded at a woman standing in the doorway of the shack. Helen, the mother of Ariadne and Leander.

Helen took her arm and wiped away the tears that fell from her face. She looked upward and mouthed the words, ‘Thank you.’

And high above, Athena and Hera both smiled down at Helen. Of course, she could not see them, but she trusted them with all her heart that her children… her daughters would be alright.



"You are welcome…” The woman paused while laughing softly. Helen stepped back.

“Helen of Sasidava… The Goddesses smile upon you.” The woman smiled broadly.

“What? What have I done to…to…”

“Gain the favor of Athena; she of the Wisdom of the Universe? You have trusted her. You have trusted Mother Hera….” The woman used her hand in a broad gesture across the meadow.

“You value your children above your own life but you raised them to value others. Not all mortals are so inclined. Your daughters...”

“My…my daughters….How did you…I have never told a soul…” Helen backed further away in trepidation at the idea that her thoughts were not here own. The woman raised her hand in caution, but accompanied with yet another smile.

“I would say that the Goddesses know all, but you yourself called upon Athena the day Leander was born. Helen’s face only went a little pale as she remembered that life-changing moment in time…



“What…why…” Helen looked up and pleaded with her sister Irene as she held the baby in her arms.

“Oh sister…I… “ Irene held the baby only a little bit away from her and looked under the blanket. Her face was a mixture of shock and wonder. She kissed the baby on the forehead before place the child in Helen’s arms.

“Praise Aphrodite that you are blessed with a child such as this.” To say Irene was making the best of a bad situation would be unfair. The moment was a situation, but what kind? Irene smiled nervously and spoke again.

“Praise Aphrodite and Hermes… for such a gift as this…” She shook her head and began to sob as Helen looked at her baby for the first time.

“Oh, Irene….he…she… I wish Nico could be here,” Helen said as she choked back a sob. Her husband was lost at sea only months before. She looked again through tears and a hopeful smile.

“I think… I know Nico would agree…My baby… our baby is beautiful… Help me, O Athena to know how to care for my baby.”



“Your baby was beautiful… Some might say Leander was born out of time, but Leander was born at just the right time to a woman who knew the boy would someday be made aright.” The woman seemed to be almost dismissive but for her continued, welcoming smile.

“Aright? There is nothing wrong with my…””

“Aright like a seed that blossoms into a flower, dear woman. Like a note that grows into a beautiful melody. There indeed is nothing wrong with a child who merely becomes what she was always intended to be.”

“My child…My child….” Helen stammered.

“Everything that lives becomes more of what they already are. Leander is becoming the girl - the woman she was intended to be.”

She raised her hand slightly and used it as if she was directing music. The woman across the way interrupted what seemed to be a very animated conversation and waved back..

“See? Hear? My sister agrees,” the woman waved at Euterpe and at once the meadow was filled with a very warm, comforting soft breeze accompanied with the sound of the music of lyres.

“You knew the moment Leander was born that while you and your sister saw something strange, your child was at once strange and wonderful.”

“You are so much wiser than I could hope to be, O woman.” Helen lowered her gaze and began to cry; confused and still somewhat scared. The woman stepped closer and lifted Helen’s chin slightly before bestowing a kiss on Helen’s forehead.

“I have only the wisdom Athena has granted me, Helen of Sasidava. I am but a mere muse; sent to be small part of helping you help your daughter…both your daughters become the women you always prayed they would be."

“I thank you…you…” Helen stumbled, uncertain of what she should call the mysterious stranger.

“My name? My name is Melpomene… I am known as the muse of tragedy, but one of my great desires is to see hope in the midst of loss. You still lament the loss of the father of your children…long gone and in the bosom of paradise before Leander was born. Take heart that Nico loved you and somehow I imagine he is smiling, knowing that his children are being raised by a woman who is wise enough to know she is not yet as wise as she will be.”

"I am not wise, oh blessed woman.”

“Say not so. There is none ignorant as those who believe they have nothing to learn, dear woman. You
have wisdom enough to know there is so much more in this world of ours to know, Helen.”

“What can I do to help? What is my part in Leander’s… growth?”

“Continue to blossom and grow and wisdom will bathe you like the warm glow of the sun. It will be a challenging time, dear lady… A time that will demand bravery to act upon what others might consider folly. But you are a very brave woman indeed.” Melpomene gently took Helen by both hands and backed away slightly

“Come…Let us go and meet my sister Euterpe and help her assist Ariadne. And let us go and meet your new daughter as well.” She let go of one hand as the two walked across the meadow.

Next: Tría: Mia méra gia choró (Three: a day for dancing)


Me pollés efcharistíes ston néo mou fílo.



up
21 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Leander will have the best teachers!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

The muses, certainly, but also her mother — a woman of heart and faith, who always believed in her.

I am very curious to see where you take this, mou fílo. :)

Emma

How Many Here?

joannebarbarella's picture

Will understand what you are doing?

And will Leander still swim to meet Hero?

A different Leander.

Hero's Leander lived on the Asian side of the Hellespont, not in Thrace. Thrace is now partly in Bulgaria and partly in Turkey, while both sides of the Hellespont are now in Turkey.