If Wishes Were... Part 2

Printer-friendly version
If Wishes Were...

Ten wishes from ten women...


Teddi's Wish

 

Where did I leave that bus ticket.
I can’t stay here any longer.
They just don’t understand me.
I wish mom didn’t die.

 


Dodge City, Kansas…

Teddy Kubelski winced as he heard the front door open and close. Living in a home where he was misunderstood was painful enough; that they didn’t try hurt even more. He breathed a sigh of relief, hoping the peril had passed. A moment later his worst fears were realized as a “where is that fucking kid?” came from the living room. He looked out the window and saw that his bike was leaning on the side of the house by the kitchen door, so escape such as it was would be on foot. If he was going to make the move, it had to be right then and there. He went to open the window when the door opened up. Standing there, all five-foot-six of him, was his foster mother’s son.

“Where the fuck do you think you’re goin’?” Kenny asked as he grabbed Teddy by the scruff of the neck, pulling him back away from the window. Before he could answer, the young man threw Teddy against the wall next to the closet door, sending a model of a 57 Chevy Nomad crashing to the floor, shattering in more than a few pieces and stirring up the accumulated dust of seven years of neglect. The room had been Kenny Pollack’s when he had grown up, and it had been passed along to any boy unfortunate enough to land at the Pollack house through the foster system.

“Look what you fucking did, you little faggot.” That Kenny didn’t consider Teddy’s orientation mattered not; he just called every boy that his mother cared for a faggot. He grabbed Teddy and pushed him back against the wall.

“Where the fuck is my money?” Kenny said meanly but in a voice almost too soft to hear.

“I told you…they don’t give me the money…your mother gets it and she spends it.”

That Kenny continued to get it wrong despite his mother’s twelve year history as a foster parent wasn’t lost on Teddy; if he hadn’t banged his head against an old nail righ then he might have laughed at the irony. But then again, probably not. Instead, he began to cry.

“What a little shit…you calling my mother a thief?” Again the misconception took precedence over the obvious and Kenny hit Teddy in the mouth with a hard slap, causing his lip to bleed.

“Nnno…Just a second…please…” Kenny was about to hit the boy once more when Teddy reached into his pocket.

“Here…this is worth a few hundred dollars…my Mom gave it to me…”

His hands shook as he produced a plastic case with a 1972 Lincoln penny, double obverse; it was worth over $500. Its 1969 companion was worth in the neighborhood of $30,000. It was almost too sad and painful to part with, since it was the last connection he had to the past, and Kenny was taking it like it was just milk money. But two broken ribs (unattended) and a sore lip, plus a secret that would likely get the boy killed loosened the grip on his treasure.

“Fuck…what a fucking wimp,”

Kenny said as he tore the case out of the boy’s hand. And with that, he walked out of the room, laughing as he ignored the boy sitting on the floor against the wall, crying over one more loss in a brief but painful history of losses. Teddy’s mother had been killed in a car accident along with his baby sister Claire, and with no living relatives to adopt him he had been placed with the Pollacks only three months before.

In that short span of time, Kenny had stolen his Zune and his cell phone, along with virtually every dime the boy had. It had been nothing short of miraculous that the young man hadn’t found his one supreme treasure. And he wouldn’t get the chance. The boy looked down the hall and saw Kenny walk out the door and drive off.

He wiped his face with his sleeve, scratching his lip in the process and pulling off the already-forming scab on his lip. The tears kept flowing. He felt he could stand another beating, but losing that coin was like losing his family all over again. He took a deep breath and looked around. Kenny had taken most of his clothes, so there wasn’t anything left to do but grab the twenty and the bus ticket he had hidden under the table lamp and head out the front door.


Greyhound Bus Station, Dodge City…

Teddy walked up to the ticket gate and smiled.

“Excuse me, please? Would you mind telling me when the next bus to Wichita leaves?” He asked. The clerk looked up and smiled; her wide toothy grin was a welcome sight after three months of hell.

“Six-thirty-five or so; depending.”

“Thank you very much,” Teddy returned the smile, evoking,

“You’re welcome, young lady.”

Teddy smiled once again and headed toward the door to wait outside. In the space of a half hour, his fortune had turned a bit as the flight he so long awaited had finally come, and the recognition she so longed for had finally arrived. She pulled her hoodie back, revealing nearly shoulder length blond hair; very unruly perhaps, but still long.


Wichita, Kansas…

Four hours later, she stood at the counter of the Riverside Cup of Tea. A young lady came up and smiled; just another blessing among small blessings, but a blessing to be sure.

“Can I help you?”

“I’m meeting a friend…Nancy Wadden?”

“Oh…that would be…” The girl grew red even as she smiled sweetly. A kindly looking woman, fortyish, came to the counter. The girl turned and spoke softly.

“This girl says she’s here to meet you, Daddy.” The girl giggled a bit; it never ceased to amuse her in a pleasant way.

“You must be Teddi. This is my daughter Janine.” The woman smiled and the girl beamed.

“Oh…I talked to you on the phone. I hope you like it here. You’ll be in my classes at school this fall, and I can introduce you to all my friends.” She smiled again and turned to help a customer. The woman stepped from behind the counter and led Teddi to a booth where they sat down. She smiled again; this was going to be alright, the girl thought to herself and the woman spoke once more.

“I’ve already talked with social services; they know about your situation, and I’ve got a nice couple from the Lutheran Church around the corner that you can stay with. Welcome home, Teddi… welcome home!"

The girl looked around and the tears began to flow, but for the first time in months they were tears, not of grief or pain but of relief and joy. She put her hand in her pocket and fingered the small plastic case … the 1969-S double obverse Lincoln penny secure in her hand. She sighed with a half-grin and pondered the woman’s words…

“Welcome home!”

Next: Kiera’s Wish

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If Wishes Were - Part 2

Happy for Teddi. But Kenny and his mother are both monsters that need to be vanquished by a Knight In Shining Armor.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Never mind.

Andrea Lena's picture

Please delete.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I agree...

Great...as usual. Oh well...

Brat

Not to be contrary but

A black knight with a really nice sized package would do just as well I think. (Giggle)

Hugs to All

Trish

That Was So Nice and Upbeat

littlerocksilver's picture

Teddi is a smart young lady. I know it was hell for her, but her plan was a good one, considering the circumstances. As an old numistmatist coins fascinate me. In for a penny, I guess.

Portia

Portia

welcome home

as usual, brava. my only complaint is how short it is. hugs hon.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I enjoyed that!

I did think things happened rather quickly-something that never happens in real life, although I wish it were otherwise. I'm glad that things worked out in Teddi's case, and I hope there is some punishment in store for those who persecuted her, otherwise, other children will suffer the same fate.

Wren

God bless the internet

laika's picture

is all I can say. I'm sure in a pre-internet world a brave kid like her would've got out of that hellhole anyway, and possibly survived; but there's all the pitfalls of street life for teens who run away without a plan. Loved the meeting between Teddi & this woman she'd apparently already known on line; the adventure at the Greyhound, nervous but with encouraging signs, small blessings in ordinary encounters ..... If not a HOME THAT LOVE BUILT story, this definitely has the same positive vibe ..... And whether it be by a gallant knight with a large and shining penis or some other means, it would be nice if Ma Kallikak and her spawn were removed from the foster-parenting system (maybe some phone calls, Teddi finding other former wards of theirs to lend weight to a complaint); because they're the kind of scuzzy opportunistic trash that give it a bad name. And so begins another fine and lovely emotional shitstorm of a story from the quill cursor of our dynamic damsel drea...
~~hugs, Veronica

The overwhelming value of the small…

Thanks for reminding us of a penny's worth, 'Drea:

    …God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are… I Corinthians 1:27-1:28 (KJV)

As only a numismatist sees the value of a rare, misstruck penny, so only one who loves an unusual, misunderstood child sees what he or she may yet become.

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

Wonderful... I really

Wonderful... I really didn't see an upbeat ending coming there.
.
...Lora
.

Lora123falle.jpg